Elford Turbo for sale

Seen a 1st gen RX7 driving, parked up or for sale somewhere... post the details here...
JMCC1965

Elford Turbo for sale

Post by JMCC1965 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:19 am

Hi everyone,
As a new member and long time fan I have always fancied an Elford Turbo. Spotted this coming up for auction soon....
1984 Mazda RX7 Elford Turbo

Your thoughts please.
http://angliacarauctions.co.uk/media/61 ... -14-43.jpg

codge

Re: Elford Turbo for sale

Post by codge » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 pm

OK....A bit of history is available:
This car was first noted on the register in 2012; at that time unlicensed on DVLA since 2003. It's location at that time (2003 or 2012) was not known but we came across it in the records of 3 Spires Mazda, Litchfield, from whence it was sold new in May 1984 to a petroleum company. (Must be a joke in there somewhere about fuel consumption).

Now originally it appears to have been Red.......DVLA showed it as Black in 2012.....and DVLA site still shows it as Black (but people sometimes don't bother setting those details straight).
DVLA also now shows it as Sorned and with a full year's MOT.

The conclusion is therefore that it has been stored for quite a while and has had a biggish resto, possibly quite recently??
Can't tell much from the single pic but it looks decent enough. Check the usually rust spots (see Ian's great buying guide on here), also watch for dicky paint prep and spraying since it might have been Red/Black/Red in it's life.

When you get a minute be nice if you put an intro post up in 'Who's Who'

Hope that helps.
codge (Dave)

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Looks nice to me :o

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

That's not a 1984 Serie 3. Must be an older model and was new painted. Some parts are missing in the Black engine room.

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Holy rear ride height! :shock:

What makes you think it's not an S3, Thomas? It's got all the S3 bits, including the full interior. Only thing I can see is an S2 steering wheel :?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Robert Grounds who used to own the Mazda main dealership in Lichfield told me he sold this car new in May 1984... it was red then.
Looking at it now it's a mixture of series 2 and series 3 parts. The interior and dash, with the exception of the steering wheel are series 3..... the steering wheel is series 2.
Moving outside....... the wheels are series 1 / series 2 Elford sonic wheels which won't fit onto series 3 hubs due to the different pcd so either the hubs have been drilled ( very unlikely) or else the car is on series 2 running gear.
I think it's a bits and pieces car and the only way to date the bodyshell is the get hold of the vin. My feeling is that it's a series 3 shell
with various parts from other series of 1st gen.
The paintwork looks very shiny but 6 grand is an awful lot of dough for a bitsa car.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

JMCC1965

Post by JMCC1965 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info guy's I have spoken to the auction and although car is not on site yet, it has been seen by the person I spoke to. He thought it looked really bright and presentable and finished recently finished to a good standard. Apparently starts on the button hot or cold and is really quite nippy. They also confirm it was red when new which is backed up with an HPI check. From my own research there appears to be around 540 Rx7 Fb Elford Turbo's produced in the UK with very few left, but as far as I can see there are no firm figures as the V5 does not differ from the standard car. What I have found is there are many Elford Turbo engines now running in standard cars and while this is a popular upgrade is there any way to spot a true Elford?
I have to say I love those alloys.http://www.rx7fb.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=20&t=3879#

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 pm

ian65 wrote: My feeling is that it's a series 3 shell
Suspension strut top mount plate = serie2. Headlight Motor and only one waterjet = Serie 2.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:14 pm

there's no such thing as a 'true Elford' as it was just a kit fitted to a stock car. Elfords developed the kit and installed it onto fully standard cars. They also had agreements for Richard Knight Cars in Swiss Cottage to install the kit and also for TWR in Oxford to fit them so Elford Turbo cars could have been converted at either of those dealers or at Elford themselves in Bournemouth.
They weren't all new cars either as owners could take their own cars to have them converted at any time during their ownership.
This red car would have been converted at TWR if it was converted by Robert Grounds at 3 Spires Mazda.
Not all Mazda dealers were authorised by Mazda UK to sell the RX7 but 3 Spires was and as Robert had managed to get an Elford Turbo demonstrator, he sold a fair few Elford Turbos. He told me that if someone came in and ordered an Elford he would order in a new car front Mazda UK and then take it down to TWR to have the Elford equipment fitted as TWR was closer than Elfords in Bournemouth.

Not many cars have had them retrofitted in recent years as the 13b engines have become widely and cheaply available and are favoured more than the 12a Elford turbo engines.

So there's nothing to distinguish a car with an Elford turbo equipped car from a standard car as far as the V5 or vehicle ID is concerned. Some cars may still have an original bill of sale from Elfords themselves showing the conversion was done by them back in the day but that wouldn't really mean anything these days... condition is everything with a 32 yr+ old car and paperwork, whilst nice to have, doesn't really mean a lot.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler