Beehive Oil Cooler

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...
KiwiDave
VIP User
VIP User

Beehive Oil Cooler

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Mine is leaking ( a common thing apparently). I've just looked at the removal and installation instructions and it seems straightforward..... can anyone confirm my assumption?? From the exploded diagram, it looks like I need 4x O Rings and an undertermined number of sealing washers. Any advice on where I can source the parts? It's about time I started doing some of these fixes for myself :?:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

Steve-A
VIP User
VIP User
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beehive Oil Cooler

Post by Steve-A » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

I'm no use on where to find sealing washers / o rings, but I can confirm it comes apart and goes together fairly easily :)

While you've got it off to replace the seals its well worth flushing it through, if its anything like mine it'll have years of sediment out of the cooling system in it. When I first put a hose in one side of mine a small brown trickle came out the other. After 10 mins flushing it back and forth water was comig out the otherside as fast as it went in, gotta make quite a difference to its cooling ability!
Ex-rotor owner exploring the world of pistons and valves....

Marc S
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Marc S » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 am

I got my O rings from Tim at RX Motors - cost about a fiver I think :)
Professional Vehicle Detailing & Valeting in East Sussex
http://www.paragonautofinishing.co.uk

TOOL
VIP User
VIP User

Post by TOOL » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 am

Should be 2 o-rings which you should be able to pick up anywhere and a 10mm spanner. I've got a tidy one in the garage if you want it FOC.
Listening to the cowbells

codge
RX7fb LEGEND
RX7fb LEGEND

Post by codge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Extract from a Mazda Guide by Tim White at RX Motors.....he is da one cooler dude.

Should be easy with these Viton thingies.
Attachments
Mazda Guide S3 Oil Cooler.jpg
Mazda Guide S3 Oil Cooler.jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 5104 times

TOOL
VIP User
VIP User

Post by TOOL » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:36 pm

You could use viton but stock o-rings last years and cost nothing. You know from the dribbles that they need replacing.

Better yet, ditch the beehive and front mount an oil cooler.

KiwiDave
VIP User
VIP User

Post by KiwiDave » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:19 pm

TOOL wrote:Should be 2 o-rings which you should be able to pick up anywhere and a 10mm spanner. I've got a tidy one in the garage if you want it FOC.
Thnx for the offer mate, most kind of you. Will have to arrange a meet / pickup.... must do a local watering hole next time 0-0
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

KiwiDave
VIP User
VIP User

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Finally got around to changing the beehive yesterday. 10mm spanner for the two nuts underneath, 12mm for the bolt onto the top of the motor and a 23mm for the oil banjo. For starters, I had to go out and buy a 23mm ring spanner as there is no room to fit a socket. Those 10mm nuts look easy enough but they are a right PITA if the undersides of the beehive are coated in eons worth of oil and dirt.
The 12mm one is the easiest to get to but it was welded so tight.. millions of torques applied to the socket wrench, the customary TINK (so it's either loosened or buggered then) and then my left hand flying at light speed past a plastic connector, knocking that off and taking a chunk of finger out with the now exposed metal spade( would have looked great in F1 style super slow mo ).....swearing.....carry on until I notice plastic glove has blood sloshing inside.....swearing.....cleaning and plaster....carry on. :evil:
Everything comes off ok, lovely brown water from it's innards and o rings are flat and brittle. Have now exposed more dirt and greasy muck to clean. Notice the water hose from the top of the cooler has been taped up, note to replace later. Luckily, I have a nice clean and dry beehive which was prepared earlier (supplied by Darkside Spares Dept) with some nice new o rings and so, in the best Haynes tradition, refitting is the reverse of removal.
Too dark to test for leaks so waited until this afternoon, fired TWiR into life, check for leaks, drive for 20 minutes, notice that low water light actually works (which is nice), check for leaks again (none) and top up coolant. Job done, finger recovering (thanks for asking) :lol:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

Marc S
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Marc S » Sat May 19, 2012 9:11 am

I am a little confused :lol:

I pulled my beehive off yesterday...well, I lifted it - couldn't get the banjo off, seems to have been fitted with the power of greyskull or something, so I loosened the pipework below enough to get the cooler off and sat on top of the fixing bolts...apart from once when it slipped and tried to eat one of my fingers, but hey...

The O rings I have are simply that, 4 small rubber rings, circular profile. What is fitted in the base of the assembly looks conical shaped at the inner diameter, and far too thick to be replaced by the small o rings I got from Tim...and I can only see I'd use 2...not 4 :?:

I ended up walking away before I a) lost more fingers or b) undid something I shouldn't...I'll be back there later with some nice fresh synthetic oil (removed the OMP yesterday too)...I'd like to refit the oil cooler with new o rings...but not sure I'm doing the right thing...

Any help would be appreciated :)
Professional Vehicle Detailing & Valeting in East Sussex
http://www.paragonautofinishing.co.uk

TOOL
VIP User
VIP User

Post by TOOL » Sat May 19, 2012 9:27 am

Marc S wrote:I am a little confused :lol:

I pulled my beehive off yesterday...well, I lifted it - couldn't get the banjo off, seems to have been fitted with the power of greyskull or something, so I loosened the pipework below enough to get the cooler off and sat on top of the fixing bolts...apart from once when it slipped and tried to eat one of my fingers, but hey...

The O rings I have are simply that, 4 small rubber rings, circular profile. What is fitted in the base of the assembly looks conical shaped at the inner diameter, and far too thick to be replaced by the small o rings I got from Tim...and I can only see I'd use 2...not 4 :?:

I ended up walking away before I a) lost more fingers or b) undid something I shouldn't...I'll be back there later with some nice fresh synthetic oil (removed the OMP yesterday too)...I'd like to refit the oil cooler with new o rings...but not sure I'm doing the right thing...

Any help would be appreciated :)
You got a 23mm spanner? Well worth investing in one. It's a random size, but that's the one that fits oil cooler lines. Thanks Mazda.
You only need 2 orings under the beehive. Pretty straight forward. Dunno why people are getting 4 orings.
There's another thread on here from KiwiDave about it.

Return to “RX7 Maintenance & Service”