Won't start help!

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...
Threesevens

Re: Won't start help!

Post by Threesevens » Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm

I have had the carb cleaned but she will still not start without a squirt of easy start.Then it cuts out unless I keep revs up to 2000.
I have had those original mechanics back and they have dismantled the carb and looked at the turbo which they are saying doesn't spin easily. They are suggesting that the turbo maybe the problem. I didn't think the turbo would prevent it starting or ticking over. When I have been out in the car the turbo has been kicking in and working as i would think it should. I would really appreciate your views on the turbo. They are also saying the spark isn't very strong and it maybe the coils. I have the SU carb rebuild kit but they appear reluctant to use it.
They want to tow my car to their garage but I want to make sure they have a chance of sorting it out as I am racking up some cost.
Thanks
Kevin

ian65

Post by ian65 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:52 pm

these mechanics sound out of their depth to me...... Elfords are very simple cars to work on and are much less complicated than the stock factory setup with the Nikki carb and the emissions stuff.
The first step I'd do would be to use the rebuild kit on the carb and then set the mixture up right..... there are full instructions on how to set the mixture on an Elford on the forum. If the previous owner plus these guys have messed about with the carb the settings could be all over the place. You really need to get it rebuilt and put back to the base settings to give you a starting point.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Wed May 13, 2015 7:28 pm

I agree with everything Ian just said. Get that carb rebuilt aye th:

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Eventually got the car starting and running.
I found an SU carb expert who came round with the intention of doing a rebuild.
However he quickly found a couple of minor problems with the carb which he sorted out straight away, without doing a rebuild.
I am pleased to say it is now running well.
On to the next stage of the project.
Thanks for your assistance which I have really appreciated.
Kevin

ian65

Post by ian65 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:30 pm

that's really good news Kevin... just in time for the good weather :D .... do you fancy bringing it to the Retro Rides gathering with us in August.... Dibs and one or two others are driving their cars up from Essex... it's a great day out...

Here's the thread on it...
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2619

1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:29 am

Excellent news. Proper carburettor 'experts' are hard to find these days.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Great stuff mate. Pleased for you.

A nice accurate diagnosis then th:

What was wrong with it? I had no idea but I'm keen to learn and I'm sure others would too.
Back in sunny France

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:21 pm

There were a number of minor things wrong.
Firstly and the most significant, the spindle that goes through center of the SU carb was slightly bent and therefore it wasn't sitting correctly creating a gap which meant it was letting in too much air or fuel, I am not sure which it was. The spindle has been straightened but I am trying to source a new replacement
Secondly the wrong oil had been put in the carb. Previously 3 in 1 oil had been used but it was recommended that I use engine oil i.e, 10w 30 or 10w 40.
Lastly because a number of people had looked at it the settings they were completely out. Once he had balance them she started, idled and drove as you would expect. Happy days :)