Won't start help!

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...
Threesevens

Re: Won't start help!

Post by Threesevens » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Ian the starter motor is the original one. It needed some of the external wiring replaced and the terminals cleaned and now works fine and is strong. Unfortunately the one you sent me doesn't seem to work and is a bit different to the one that is on there but I assume there are a number of variations. I will probably take it somewhere and get it refurbed so i have a spare.

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:51 pm

that's good news that yours works ok now.... it was always a gamble with that untested one of mine.... at least the starter issue is sorted now. 9 times out of ten it's the wiring with starter problems on these cars.
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:21 pm

The car won't start, not because of the Carb, but because the starter motor won't work.
There is now no live feed going to the starter motor.
They think it might be the relay switch that has failed due to the amount of times we were cranking the starter motor to get the car running over the last 2 days.
I am still unsure whether the solution is the cleaning up of the carb or not but I can't put that to the test without getting the car started.
During the afternnon the electric ariel and radio stopped working all of a sudden. We replaced the fuse although the original one looked OK. Not sure if the electrics are in the best shape and maybe that is why there is no live feed to the starter.
I knew there would be problems but the last two days have been a pain in the arse.
It would be nice to just start the car and drive around a little.
it highlights the need to try and find someone who knows these cars locally.
Any comments would be appreciated
Cheers
Kevin

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:40 pm

the main positive supply to the starter comes directly from the battery.... it might be the signal wire that's not supplying the signal.... turn the key into the start position and check the voltage across the signal wire ( the one that goes onto the small spade connection) .... it should be +12v. If, when turning the key to the start position, you don't get any voltage out of this wire, check the main fusible link on the nearside suspension tower under the bonnet..... the link in the centre in this picture....

the starter signal +12v goes through this link.
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:48 pm

ian65 wrote:Tool may be able to do you a compression test
Yes, I've got the proper Mazda tester. Comp isn't everything. If it's been sat there's a good chance the side seals are stuck. You need to get some miles on it to see if it improves.

I've got a spare carb, spare starter, carb rebuild kit, well, you boys know I've got all sorts.

I should be able to get it running.
Back in sunny France

ian65

Post by ian65 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 pm

TOOL wrote:
ian65 wrote:Tool may be able to do you a compression test
Yes, I've got the proper Mazda tester. Comp isn't everything. If it's been sat there's a good chance the side seals are stuck. You need to get some miles on it to see if it improves.

I've got a spare carb, spare starter, carb rebuild kit, well, you boys now I've got all sorts.

I should be able to get it running.
remember it's an Elford so it's running a SU carb
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

mc turbo

Post by mc turbo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:01 pm

hi m8 theres a company called Essex rotary in south ockendon rm156rs 07880 913505 they maybe able to help u! ps. it will also b handy to buy fb Haynes manual of ebay for it.

apexheid

Post by apexheid » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:15 pm

mc turbo wrote:hi m8 theres a company called Essex rotary in south ockendon rm156rs 07880 913505 they maybe able to help u! ps. it will also b handy to buy fb Haynes manual of ebay for it.

What's wrong with tool as he's the man .......

mc turbo

Post by mc turbo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:04 pm

apexheid wrote:
mc turbo wrote:hi m8 theres a company called Essex rotary in south ockendon rm156rs 07880 913505 they maybe able to help u! ps. it will also b handy to buy fb Haynes manual of ebay for it.
What's wrong with tool as he's the man .......

theres nothing wrong with tool its just walshie asked for someone local to him in Essex!

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi Tool,

You come well recommended :D
When would you be available to take a look?
Thanks
Kev