MOT time...

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...
ian65
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:11 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 79 times

MOT time...

Post by ian65 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 pm

1st gens being mot'd are subject to a visual check for smoke only.... some mot testers who are unused to testing 1st gens, may try to fail your car on emissions... they shouldn't be testing the emissions.
Here's the page from the mot manual...

Image

check out the box in bold text at the bottom right...

it can be downloaded from here.... probably worth printing off and sticking in your glovebox before the test.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/non_cat.pdf

.
1986 Series 3 Elford Turbo
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
New custodian of 'Gus', K plate series 3
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

User avatar
Johnnyboy
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:39 pm
Location: Tardebigge, Worcestershire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MOT time...

Post by Johnnyboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Brilliant.

Thanks Ian.
John

Miss January, the two tone blue turbo in Tardebigge

syebba
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Over Here
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MOT time...

Post by syebba » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 pm

This is so useful,i've printed it off to!
ta stu..

Lucky
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Worthing, UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MOT time...

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Just wanted to say thanks again to Ian and this excellent forum. Just had the MOT on the FB and took the page from the MOT manula along. The tester's an old mate anyway, but he freely admitted he had no idea this clause was in there. He showed me the on-line PDF of the manula all the MOT stations get sent, and that section 7.3 is about ten pages of text. The flow chart above doesn't even fit on one page, you have to scroll around it on the screen, and the little box-out clause about rotaries doesn't appear on the page, you have to actually look for it! No wonder so many MOT emissions tests are being done wrongly on FBs.

In fact, the last test that my FB had was done (wrongly) under the "pre-1986" clause of the flowchart, and we put the probe on it today just out of scientific curiosity. It passed anyway; 2.73% CO out of 4.5% and 335ppm of hydrocarbobdoodads out of 1200 8-) unfcknblvbl :o

TOOL
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am
Location: Switzerland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: MOT time...

Post by TOOL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Lucky wrote:Just wanted to say thanks again to Ian and this excellent forum. Just had the MOT on the FB and took the page from the MOT manula along. The tester's an old mate anyway, but he freely admitted he had no idea this clause was in there. He showed me the on-line PDF of the manula all the MOT stations get sent, and that section 7.3 is about ten pages of text. The flow chart above doesn't even fit on one page, you have to scroll around it on the screen, and the little box-out clause about rotaries doesn't appear on the page, you have to actually look for it! No wonder so many MOT emissions tests are being done wrongly on FBs.

In fact, the last test that my FB had was done (wrongly) under the "pre-1986" clause of the flowchart, and we put the probe on it today just out of scientific curiosity. It passed anyway; 2.73% CO out of 4.5% and 335ppm of hydrocarbobdoodads out of 1200 8-) unfcknblvbl :o
Yeah it's the HC reading that's the killer for me on the IDA.
Listening to the cowbells

User avatar
MelloYello
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: London, England.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: MOT time...

Post by MelloYello » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Any one got a decent copy of this document. Taking the 7 to a new tester, and am going through the same arguments - "its running too rich, it wont pass emissions"....

The link above no working.

KiwiDave
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:07 pm
Location: Feltham, Southwest London
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: MOT time...

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Check your email dude. th:
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

User avatar
Johnnyboy
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:39 pm
Location: Tardebigge, Worcestershire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MOT time...

Post by Johnnyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am

I will need a copy as well soon - could you post one please?
John

Miss January, the two tone blue turbo in Tardebigge

ian65
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:11 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: MOT time...

Post by ian65 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am
I will need a copy as well soon - could you post one please?
Bloody hell :o Hello John, how are you mate? Long time no see.
1986 Series 3 Elford Turbo
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
New custodian of 'Gus', K plate series 3
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

User avatar
MelloYello
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: London, England.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: MOT time...

Post by MelloYello » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

KiwiDave wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 pm
Check your email dude. th:
Cheers Dave

Post Reply

Return to “RX7 Maintenance & Service”