Which plugs?

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...
Lucky

Re: Which plugs?

Post by Lucky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

That's handy then :D . Yeah, looking forward to changing the plugs. After doing them on an FD anything seems easy, you have to disassemble half the engine bay and still need fingers like a proctologist's to get to them. It's almost easier to do it from underneath. Ooer

Spark plugs aren't something I'd bother with a torque setting on... do up them up then nip a quarter-turn has always been good enough. I'll never forget how funny it was when my brother tried using a torque setting to do up the drain bolt on his VFR sump. Of course, his haynes manual didn't list a specific one, so he used one generic to that size of bolt... which, since it's like an M20 or something was about 80 lb-ft :shock: One shattered sump pan later he decided home mechanic-ing wasn't for him and paid for servicing ever after :lol: How we laughed :twisted:

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:46 pm

So, I ordered a set of BR 8 ET plugs to do a swap since I've no idea how old the ones in the car are. Just finally got time to go and change them and the ones in the car are 10s

My understanding of plug ratings is feeble at best, are the 10s a "colder" application? Will it matter if I put the 8s in instead? The old ones look OK, even browny colour but since I have the new ones it'd be nice to change them. Just don't want to screw up the running of the car

RamoNZ

Post by RamoNZ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I think the 8s are the correct stock plug. The 10s might be too 'cold' depending on how you drive.

Generally the colder plugs are better for turbo engines which get a (heat) workout and not as exposed in the (stupid hot) chamber.

If you were a granny and only ever did 15mph for the 1.5mile round trip to church and the weekly shop, then hotter plugs would be better as they would burn off deposits that would accumulate from the slow (rich and cold) driving.

This is kinda where the phrase 'italian tuneup' comes from. Ferrari would spec a very 'cold' plug expecting the owner to be bouncing off the limiter daily for hours on end. Any pootling about and the plugs would be covered in crap, and the car would run like a dog. A heavy right foot and redline action would soon clean them and the car would run ok again for a while.... :D
Series 3 13b EGi 6 port, Tender Blue
Series 2 12a stock, Silver
Series 1 RX2 12a, Herschel Orange

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I've always used BR8ET's in my 1st gens, both turbos and NA with no problems whatsoever...... and I've got an extremely heavy right foot -turbo-
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

Lucky

Post by Lucky » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Cheers guys! Just swapped the HT leads and can't believe how much better it runs, so I might go with the new plugs as well. Although I do cane it, maybe I should go with the Ferrari tune, lol :lol: