• Welcome to www.RX7fb.com, the premier forum dedicated to the classic Mazda 1st generation RX7 1979 - 1985.... we cover all 1st gen models, SA22c's, FB's, and all cars from stock to fully modified.
  • Whether you're an owner, enthusiast or just have a passing interest in the 1st gen RX7, this is the place to be!.... we have owners cars, projects, restoration & rebuild threads, turbo conversions, 13b engine swaps and loads of fantastic info and chat.
  • We also have the latest adverts for RX7's for sale in the UK together with access to the 1st gen RX7 database which lists all known UK 1st gen RX7's.... did you used to own one of these cars?.... join the forum and find out if it still exists.... only about 200 of these cars remaining now in the UK!
  • We have loads of free downloads such as factory workshop manuals, road tests, press reports and buyers guides.
  • Follow us on Facebook
  • We regularly have forum visitors from across the globe and welcome new members from all countries, worldwide.
  • The forum is absolutely free to join and you are assured of a very warm welcome!..........register now for full access to all areas of the forum!
  • Why wait... Join now!.... www.RX7fb.com....THE dedicated 1st gen RX7 forum.
  • www.RX7fb.com.......keeping the legend alive!!!

RETRORIDES GATHERING 2017 - Sunday 20th August 2017 - click here for details - Retrorides Gathering

www.RX7fb.com • View topic - SPARK PLUG Electrode Colours?

SPARK PLUG Electrode Colours?

Everthing you need to know, Oils, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Spark Plugs, Wipers, Bulbs. How to change them & When...

SPARK PLUG Electrode Colours?

Postby DKWW2000 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Removed my 2 NGK Leading plugs to check & clean & found that the rear plug was a lot lighter coloured than the front which I think shows the rear is running a lot hotter than the front, any suggestions?

Both the trailing are the same normal golden colour.
RX7 S3
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander
DKWW2000
Site Admin

Re: SPARK PLUG Electrode Colours?

Postby spirit r » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 am

Check your Nikki, Pete.
_________*Thomas*

http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1116
spirit r

Postby TOOL » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Rear chamber is lean.
Now with 3 rotors
TOOL

Postby DKWW2000 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:46 pm

TOOL wrote:Rear chamber is lean.

That is what I thought, what is the best way of rectifying this? The mixture screw adjusts both rotors so is there another adjustment for each individually or is it a carb rebuild?
RX7 S3
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander
DKWW2000
Site Admin

Postby spirit r » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am

Clean the sparks. Make a Test drive on the primaries only.(3000U/min)Control the rear trailing spark.
Clean the sparks. Make a Test drive on the secondaries (full throttle :D) Control the spark.

The spark is lean on both test. Rebuilt the carb. Otherwise cleaning the Primary or secondary fuel Jet of the rear chamber inside the nikki.
_________*Thomas*

spirit r

Postby TOOL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

As above. Pull the jets out and hopefully one's a bit blocked on the rear rotor side.
Now with 3 rotors
TOOL

Postby DKWW2000 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks guys, I have a spare Carb & a Re-Build kit so I think I will do a straight swap once done.
RX7 S3
DKWW2000
Site Admin

Postby spirit r » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm

DKWW2000 wrote:Thanks guys, I have a spare Carb & a Re-Build kit so I think I will do a straight swap once done.

Pete do not change the two needle, seats and float. Only clean them and put a little two Stroke oil inside. I made my own caburator Kit and take dirko paper as you can read in my post. Remove the two little fuel filter before the needle they are crap. I am mounting an extern fuel filter before the carb fuel horn for a better flow.
_________*Thomas*

spirit r

Postby DKWW2000 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 pm

spirit r wrote:
DKWW2000 wrote:Thanks guys, I have a spare Carb & a Re-Build kit so I think I will do a straight swap once done.

Pete do not change the two needle, seats and float. Only clean them and put a little two Stroke oil inside. I made my own caburator Kit and take dirko paper as you can read in my post. Remove the two little fuel filter before the needle they are crap. I am mounting an extern fuel filter before the carb fuel horn for a better flow.

Vielen Dank Thomas, Ich werde mich erinern
RX7 S3
DKWW2000
Site Admin

Return to RX7 Maintenance & Service