Gearbox or clutch

Gearboxes, clutches, diffs, wheels & tyres....
codge

Re: Gearbox or clutch

Post by codge » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:34 pm

codge wrote:Parts arrived today Kevin.
They look good, just the job.

Thanks again for all your good work.
dave
For reference the S3 clutch master/slave cylinders we got were 'Centric', made in Taiwan and looking like 1st rate manufacture.

I fitted the clutch slave today and it was a perfect fit.
Running tomorrow to go and sort out MOT. I'll report further.

codge

codge

Post by codge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 pm

All good, another year's MOT in the bag.
(And the clutch worked perfectos with the new slave)........ th:

DKWW2000

Post by DKWW2000 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Well done with MOT, you never quite know until you get the certificate in your hand!
Glad the clutch is now OK, its good to have a new Slave every so often :lol:
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

codge

Post by codge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:55 am

Aye, but it got me thinking......
The clutch slave is fiddly but easy to get at on top of the engine.
I got out my Britool deep 1/4 drive sockets, my super wobble bar extension and my proper 17mm and 8mm brake pipe spanners. DOT 4 fluid, bleed tube and bottle. All-in-all a super set of equipment.

Then I started.......but I found that the bravura and skills of my earlier years have been replaced with a tentative 'feebleness' i.e. I was thinking 'will this pipe twist & kink'......'will I hurt my fingers if the spanners slip' etc.....
Previously I would have polished the job off whilst eating a bacon sandwich at the same time......not any more.

So the puzzle of why old folks employ tradespeople rather than DIYing is becoming clearer.

However I did rejoice in a couple of quick dodges.......one when I dropped a bolt.....just a bit of bluetack on a stick retrieved that in 1.2milliseconds. Then a couple of old elastic bands on the slave push rod meant I could seat it straight away on the clutch fork first time, then cut the bands away. So experience versus advancing years? hmmm......