Changing a clutch release bearing.

Gearboxes, clutches, diffs, wheels & tyres....
KiwiDave

Changing a clutch release bearing.

Post by KiwiDave » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Release bearing or thrust bearing .. whatever you like to call it, the one that's on the end of the clutch fork.

Apparently, this needs grease applied before installation. I believe it's applied to the inner groove but how much to use? I have some white grease in a handy spraycan. Can use that as it's much easier to apply to a confined area. Also, I believe that a small amount is applied to the contact surfaces at the fork.

I've looked at the Haynes pics but they are not that clear so I thought I'd ask first Also, if I remove the fork from it's pivot, is it easy to push back on? Mr Haynes would have me believe so (tap with a hammer to remove, push back on) but it's never that simple is it?

Answers on the back of an envelope or you could just type them here :) Thanking you muchly in advance.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate AMG

ian65

Re: Changing a clutch release bearing.

Post by ian65 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:48 am

White grease is definitely the stuff to use... Clean up the sleeve that the bearing slides on to remove all the old grease and dust etc then apply a coating of white grease to the length of the sleeve that the bearing slides on..... That's exactly what I did with my car and the clutch pedal is smooth as silk. (Check out page 1 of my build thread for a description and pics)
The actuator fork will just press back on with finger pressure, again use white grease on the pivot

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys. So no grease needs to be appllied to the actual bearing then? That's the last piece of my puzzle.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Do not touch the bearing
Back in sunny France

KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:16 am

Message received and understood. Will leave the bearing alone! In my defence, the manual that I was referencing was a quarter century old so I guess that bearing technology has moved on somewhat. :-/
Thanks to everyone for your input.
1985 Sunrise Red S3 TWR

daily rotor

Post by daily rotor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:27 am

Hey Guys i am planning to replace my throwout bearing as well in the near future.
Have done this job many times before in other makes of vehicles.
But with the rotary engine mounts being at the front of the engine, i am curious if i have to support the engine when i remove the gearbox. Or does the sump just rest on the crossmember? (its a 13b in a series II )
Please any little tips will be much appreciated.
Will also be removing the clutch for an inspection and to measure diametre to make purchasing a new one something i can do without having to remove box again. I know i will need a clutch aligning tool for this. Whatever clutch it has in it, i would like to purchase again as i have given it such a beating over 18 months and it still impresses me in its function.