Gearbox or clutch

Gearboxes, clutches, diffs, wheels & tyres....
codge
RX7fb LEGEND
RX7fb LEGEND
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gearbox or clutch

Post by codge » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:34 pm

codge wrote:Parts arrived today Kevin.
They look good, just the job.

Thanks again for all your good work.
dave
For reference the S3 clutch master/slave cylinders we got were 'Centric', made in Taiwan and looking like 1st rate manufacture.

I fitted the clutch slave today and it was a perfect fit.
Running tomorrow to go and sort out MOT. I'll report further.

codge

codge
RX7fb LEGEND
RX7fb LEGEND

Post by codge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 pm

All good, another year's MOT in the bag.
(And the clutch worked perfectos with the new slave)........ th:

DKWW2000
VIP User
VIP User

Post by DKWW2000 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Well done with MOT, you never quite know until you get the certificate in your hand!
Glad the clutch is now OK, its good to have a new Slave every so often :lol:
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

codge
RX7fb LEGEND
RX7fb LEGEND

Post by codge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:55 am

Aye, but it got me thinking......
The clutch slave is fiddly but easy to get at on top of the engine.
I got out my Britool deep 1/4 drive sockets, my super wobble bar extension and my proper 17mm and 8mm brake pipe spanners. DOT 4 fluid, bleed tube and bottle. All-in-all a super set of equipment.

Then I started.......but I found that the bravura and skills of my earlier years have been replaced with a tentative 'feebleness' i.e. I was thinking 'will this pipe twist & kink'......'will I hurt my fingers if the spanners slip' etc.....
Previously I would have polished the job off whilst eating a bacon sandwich at the same time......not any more.

So the puzzle of why old folks employ tradespeople rather than DIYing is becoming clearer.

However I did rejoice in a couple of quick dodges.......one when I dropped a bolt.....just a bit of bluetack on a stick retrieved that in 1.2milliseconds. Then a couple of old elastic bands on the slave push rod meant I could seat it straight away on the clutch fork first time, then cut the bands away. So experience versus advancing years? hmmm......

DeanRX7
VIP User
VIP User

Post by DeanRX7 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:17 pm

ian65 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:26 pm
iffy clutch hydraulics are typical in cars that have been off the road for a number of years as yours has. Rust forms in the bores of the clutch master and slave cylinders and once you start using the car again, the rust damages the seal inside the master and slave and causes them to leak..... as the fluid leaks out, it gets replaced with air which then means that your clutch doesn't work fully and you have difficulty selecting some gears with the engine running.

If you look at the clutch slave cylinder which is on the top of the bellhousing just below the oil filter, you will see a black rubber sleeve on it.... pull that sleeve off the slave cylinder and see it there is hydraulic fluid in it.... it there is, then that's your problem..... the clutch master cylinder can also leak, usually down the inside of the bulkhead above the pedals.

Given the very low mileage you car has done during the last 10 years, you should really replace both the clutch master and slave cylinders...... it's an hours work to change them but for some bizarre reason, UK suppliers charge an absolute fortune for new clutch and slave cylinders. The best place to get them from is Rockauto in the USA...... dirt cheap and they arrive within a few days of ordering them.

you can get repair kits for them but to be honest, they are just a short term fix...... new complete cylinders are so cheap from Rockauto that it isn't worth trying to fix your own.

What a great write up. Having the same issue and this thread has pretty much explained all I need to look at. I know this is the point of a forum but just to send a much appreciated to all! Thanks.
These users thanked the author DeanRX7 for the post:
Hobbawobba (Sun May 31, 2020 11:47 am)
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

DeanRX7
VIP User
VIP User

Post by DeanRX7 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Just hope I can find the parts needed!!!
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

Return to “Drivetrain, Wheels & Tyres”