Headlights won't pop up!

Bodywork, Glass, Bodykits, Spoilers, Lights, Modifications And Much More...
Boggy2112

Headlights won't pop up!

Post by Boggy2112 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey there, i have just changed the headlight arms on my fixer uper, with ones that have the plastic bushes. I took the arms off the motors, and can't remember if they where up or down when i did this as it ws a while ago. Now they come on but don't pop. I disconnected the battery, and manually winded the up the motor. Reconnected the battery the lights poped down and stayed on. I did it again put unscrewed the arms off and pushed the lights up, and they poped down again and stay on again! Any help or ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks Dave

Asiapinball

Re: Headlights won't pop up!

Post by Asiapinball » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Headlight motors have 4 wires: power, earth up and down. It may be that you have an electrical fault on the up circuit (red wire). Will the lights pop up using the centre console switch (rather than by turning the lights on from the steering wheel combination switch?). If not, any wiring problem will be nearer the headlamps The two circuits join together in the loom at the front of the car and that is always a weak point that corrodes and goes green in the loom. See the recent posting on weird headlamp problems in the electrics section. Wiring diagram is on page 45 of the 1984 wiring manual viewable on rotartyheads.com or Haynes manual P293

Asiapinball

Post by Asiapinball » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Of course, that's rotaryheads.com not rotartyheads.com, although rotartyheads.com sounds kind of good too !!!

decster

Post by decster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am

Had the same issue before, and bad grounding was the problem.