Factory windscreen moulding/trim weatherstripping

Bodywork, Glass, Bodykits, Spoilers, Lights, Modifications And Much More...
KYPREO

Factory windscreen moulding/trim weatherstripping

Post by KYPREO » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 am

OK, so I just got off reading this horrific thread about A-pillar rust some of you guys have encountered: http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2071 :shock:

I've just posted a topic on RX7Club about factory weatherstripping on FB windshields and I thought it might be worthwhile discussing here too. You see, Mazda knew that the RX-7 was vulnerable to water ingress and rust around the windscreen and made some feeble attempts to try to address the problem.

If you've been following my build log, I'm in the midst of a factory restoration on an Australian delivered series 3.

Currently, my windscreen moulding is polished. I did this myself over 10 years ago, but am going back to the factory satin black. I recall there being weatherstripping across the top front moulding, the edge of the side front mouldings and possibly the long bottom moulding too, although my recollection is hazy. All of these stuff fell apart when I took the moulding off - it was cracked and brittle from the sun. Now that I am restoring the car, I want to put on something equivalent.

The parts catalogue illustrates what I think are some of these parts:

The relevant parts are described as 50811D, 50821D (top trim protectors left and right) and 50608C (bottom trim protector). There are also the "DUM" rubber pieces in the corners, but I understand these have been NLA forever and in any event fit underneath the mouldings to help prevent the body.

Curiously, the "trim protectors" were introduced on series 3/1984 vehicles and weren't shown for 79-83 models. No doubt these were introduced to help prevent the common A-pillar rust issues that face 1st gens from gunk getting in behind the mouldings. The trim protectors were horrible hard rubber that seem to die pretty quickly under UV and they fall apart when removed.

Here's an example of the remnants of the factory trim protector from the rx7fb thread I linked above (between the top moulding and the body, there's a small sliver left):

I managed to buy one of the top "trim protectors" new from Mazda - the last one left in Australia - but I couldn't only get the left side, not the right. There have been none in the US for a while and they are NLA from Mazda Japan. In other words, I possibly got the last NOS one in the world. I was hoping to match the profile of the rubber with common aftermarket weatherstripping, but it doesn't seem to match so I would probably need to get something custom.

But interestingly, I have since discovered the top moulding parts were reissued with new part numbers at some point and appear to come with new style weatherstripping pre-installed. It has weatherstrips on both sides of the moulding - where the moulding meets the body and where it meets the glass. This may have been done to address the shortcomings of the crappy hard rubber weatherstrips originally fitted, or maybe just what the OEM part manufacturer did. Either way, it might explain why the trim protector parts have been NLA for so many years. I found this photo illustrating what I mean:

You will see that the top weatherstripping now has more meat than the thin factory trim protector.

I have ordered all of the top moulding pieces and drip mouldings above the doors new from Mazda Japan - they are still available (but expensive!). hopefully, mine have the weatherstripping pre-installed too.

That just leaves the weatherstripping on the bottom and side mouldings.

Do those of you with 84-85 models have these installed still? I'd be keen to see close-up photos to see how it was meant to look from the factory. Even better would be some dimensions of the weatherstripping in case it can be matched with common off-the-shelf rubber extrusion profiles.

I can see some weatherstripping on this side moulding here:

Any information or further help much appreciated.

Hopefully the information I've learnt from my research helps others also.

KYPREO

Re: Factory windscreen moulding/trim weatherstripping

Post by KYPREO » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:12 am

I've now got a few photos of the 'dums' which are shown in the bottom corners on the parts diagram. They are basically foam-like cushions that sit underneath the A-pillar mouldings. These parts have been NLA for many years, but would be easily replicated by cutting a piece of suitable aftermarket foam.

Still looking for photos of what the upper 'dums' look like.

Most importantly, still trying to figure out what the lower mouldings 'trim protector' introduced on 84-85 models actually looks like and whether it's an externally visible item.

Anyone?

ian65

Post by ian65 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:51 pm

it's raining here at the moment so difficult to get some clear photos.... I'll take some pics of mine though over the weekend.... it's a 1985 car and original so you'll be able to see how if left the factory trim/seal wise
1986 Series 3 13B Turbo II
http://rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2400
1992 Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
1975 Honda SL125 Street Scrambler

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks Ian, much appreciated!

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Hope these help but having trouble posting photos.

Dibs

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks Dibs! This appears to confirm the presence of the lower trim protector! I think this is it here:
20160709_074305.jpg
20160709_074305.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Are you able to tell me how wide that strip is? Looks to be 3mm or so?

In the second picture, i can see the trim protector at the top and the 'dum' cushioning in the corner. On the A pillar trim, is this a weatherstrip on the windscreen side, or just a reflection? I know there is a weatherstrip on the door frame side. See below arrow for what i mean...
20160709_074331.jpg
20160709_074331.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Attachments
20160709_074331.jpg
20160709_074331.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:02 am

1, This strip is 4mm wide 'J' profile but I do not know how far it extends behind the trim.

2, You are right it is a reflection.

Good luck

Dibs

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:37 am

Brilliant! Thank you very much. W(p I suspect it would extend to the width of the rolled section underneath the moulding, with cutouts where each clip sits. This is how the top ones are designed.

Threesevens

Post by Threesevens » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:24 pm

You said you have managed to get the the top molding strips from Japan.
Where did you get them, what are the part nos. and how much were they?
Thanks
Kev

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 pm

If you're talking about the weatherstrips, you can't get them. There was 1 left in a warehouse in Australia which i bought. None in Japan.

If you're talking about the mouldings themselves I've sent you a PM.