Another Arch Extension Thread - Should I do it...

Bodywork, Glass, Bodykits, Spoilers, Lights, Modifications And Much More...
Matt_j_smith

Another Arch Extension Thread - Should I do it...

Post by Matt_j_smith » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi all,

Not quite the attention seeking thread the title suggests.

Basically, when i saw the pics of my rx7 fb ( before it turned up) I had lowering, wide JUN style arches and 80's meshed alloys in mind. no question. When it arrived however, it turned out to be mint. The arches are rust free, in fact they're bordering on mint.

Is it stupid then, to fit arches? I know its my car etc etc but cutting into such clean metal seems a bit daft? I assume that, asides from bolting them on the arch lip needs to be timmed back. Previously on my drift cars I've just taken all the sheet metal out and rivet on crappy 50mm over fenders..but those cars were never clean!

I suppose the other route to go down is lower it and fit some nice fitting wheels - perhaps a subtle arch roll (not a bar and a mate driving forward and back..I've not done that before..honest). My issue is the car is quite long and thin and I'm not sure it will put off that wide/squat look.

any advice/pics to point me towards? What would you do?

thanks

DKWW2000

Re: Another Arch Extension Thread - Should I do it...

Post by DKWW2000 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Your Car do what you want :)
Personally I like them pretty much the way they are :o, but that's me. Once you take the knife to it, it is very difficult to go back, not that I do not like the look of modified 7s, I do, but a VGC car is a rare thing, it always seems a shame to make permanent changes.
Also I always believe a classic car holds it value more when original, but that is just my humble opinion ;s;
RX7 FB S3 - RX7 FC TII Vert
Rotaries Previously Owned:-
2 x NSU Ro 80s - 2 x S2 RX7s - Suzuki RE 5 - DKW(Hercules) W2000 - Norton (Krauser) Commander

spirit r

Post by spirit r » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Matt_j_smith wrote:My issue is the car is quite long and thin and I'm not sure it will put off that wide/squat look.any advice/pics to point me towards? What would you do?

thanks
Need a lot of Money to keep or bring the car in good condition. Modify the fender flares, welding, painting,lowering the car not even a cheap thing to start your hobby.
All Pete has wrote is also right. But so you do it correct the look is more powerful, unique and as you say the car design is a little thin and long.... :D
http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1118#p11304

TOOL

Post by TOOL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:39 pm

These cars look so good slammed on nice wheels but otherwise externally untouched.

With flares, you only need to cut the arches if you go really low.
Cutting the front wings/guards is easy enough. No need to repaint.
Cutting the rear guards will need welding to put the inner arch back onto the outer quarter as it's structural. If the arch is high enough up you can hide the welds under it and again no paint.

It will never go back to original again EVER.

I've done it before. Sills 3 inches off the road fixed (no coilovers).
Back in sunny France

Hobbawobba

Post by Hobbawobba » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I have thought about whether I could put arches on my car or not. There are some pretty sweet looking cars with them aye.
TOOL wrote:These cars look so good slammed on nice wheels but otherwise externally untouched.
I do agree with this so much though! Maybe the side plastics removed also. Mmmm

Matt_j_smith

Post by Matt_j_smith » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:56 pm

Great replies, cheers guys!

Ive had very low, wide cars in the past but they've never been particularly clean in the first place. One of the wider arched car did have all the structural work done to the rear arches - but as you say - it would never be the same.

This is clean however! I agree re. a stock car being worth more.

I think I will look more into lowering it a bit an finding some nice wheels - Ill keep the originals. I have a friend that can roll the arch lip, that shouldn't make any external difference.

MelloYello

Post by MelloYello » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:59 am

My 2 cents worth
- if you have got you mind set on arches then do it
- but if you have a straight car then why cut it up
- they can still look tuff with the right set of wheels and some lows

mooragerx7

Post by mooragerx7 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Like said each to their own I have them but had too due to my choice of wheels sticking well out of the arch but I like them.