rust repairs

Bodywork, Glass, Bodykits, Spoilers, Lights, Modifications And Much More...
agent fabricateur

rust repairs

Post by agent fabricateur » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:48 am

I bought this car after I had checked the underbody for rust. What a sucker I am!

https://imgur.com/a/OXmES

Here's an album of patching in fresh sheet metal.

Many more to come.

<disclaimer: while I'm a reasonably experienced fabricator, I don't do much sheet metal so there's a learning curve at work here as well as a lack of actual sheet metal tools>

agent fabricateur

Re: rust repairs

Post by agent fabricateur » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:35 am

A7RXY

Post by A7RXY » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:00 am

Before you go much further I would take the trim off around the A pillar, around the windscreen and check those, as we have seen people rebuild the underside of the car only to find they have rotted through and had to scrap the project.
Good luck
Dibs

http://www.rx7fb.com/viewtopic.php?f=10 ... t=a+pillar

agent fabricateur

Post by agent fabricateur » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I had a similar problem with a Porsche 924 having a bodged repair to the battery tray area result in scrapping it. The a previous owner had actually stuffed a rag into an existing rust hole and then used expansion foam to cover it up! The rust made its way into the firewall, inner fender, door still and frame spar where they all tied together, it would have necessitated drilling out every spot weld and breaking every sealed seam in the area. So I scrapped it and bought a nice '81 turbo with a galvanised body.

I think this car may have sat on grass for quite a while. The top looks very good but the axle is completely covered in surface rust. No signs of rust around the windshield but I'll make sure to poke around there just to be sure.

codge

Post by codge » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:38 pm

The 1st gens do seem to show surface rust on the underside. OK as long as it's only surface on the axle tube and so on.

agent fabricateur

Post by agent fabricateur » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:11 am

I'm thinking that the rockers as they are won't be in the picture for long anyway. I'll likely chop them out, weld in some thin DOM round tube and tie that into another piece that will mount the lower links. It'll also run close enough to tie into the cage which should make things very rigid. Then the upper links can tie in under the main hoop like an SFI chassis. So really the whole floor pan may end up coming out of this car in favour of a SFI 25.X chassis. Just in case it gets really fast some day ;)

Connor